Links to Lesson Plans and Other Resources
Follow these links for ready-to-teach lesson plans on topics covered by News-Basics (or soon to be covered):
• Lesson Plan: War in Afghanistan
• Lesson Plans on Iran, from PBS NewsHour and Teachable Moment
• Lesson Plan: Fighting Terrorism vs. the Rule of Law
• Lesson Plan: Why Do Terrorists Want to Kill Americans?
• Lesson Plan: Health Care Reform
• Lesson Plan: Stem Cells (focuses on writing an advocacy brochure on this topic)
• Lesson Plan: Global Warming
• Lesson Plan: Financial Crisis
• Lesson Plan: Israel and the Palestinians
Here are three teaching resources relating to current events in general:
• Quiz yourself: do you know more about the news than the average American?
• Current Events Jeopardy
• A news trivia game from the Newseum
If you want to teach your students about news literacy, go here to read an excellent syllabus for a course offered at Stony Brook University. (See Part VI, Class Schedule.)
Finally, the following web pages offer rich resources for teachers who want to explore current events with their students.
• PBS NewsHour’s Teachers Page
• Teachable Moment
• TimeSpace, the Washington Post’s interactive world map—click on the map and you can read news stories that happened at that location
• Izzit.org – see their “Current Events Articles” for articles and videos about news stories, with discussion questions included.
• N.Y. Times Learning Network
• Education World